Links, Movies, and (other) Trivia
[First attempt towards emptying my backlog]
Links everyone should have seen by now:
Random movie-related stuff:
- Watched Night on Earth (1991), a typical Jim Jarmusch film: divided into a series of shorts like Coffee and Cigarettes, all pieces coinciding in time like Mystery Train (1989), soundtrack (partly) by the Tom Waits like the Down by Law (1986), and a comedy starring Roberto Benigni like all of them. I'm still to understand how he could produce a so different movie like Dead Man (1995)! All of them highly recommended. In fact Jarmusch is my favorite director / movie writer, sharing only with Krzysztof Kieslowski.
- Also watched In Good Company (2004). Good for dinner-time with friends only.
- In my priority queue to be blogged for a while, The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam (official site). Didn't like the synopsis, but should really check it out.
- Last, but definitely not least, Sex & Philosophy (2005) by distinguished Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf. Again, not watched yet, but the script was pretty good. Written in form of dialogs, it moves around concepts of what love really means. A guy timing his "happy times". If you ask me, not quite irrelevant to In Praise of Love (2001). Liked this dialog particularly, although it's not quite around the core theme (translation's mine):
Reminds me of Bob Dylan quote: Just because you like my stuff doesn't mean I owe you anything.
- (to the poet) These guys are your fans, why don't you spend five minutes with them.
- John, they are fans of my poetry, and killers of my time. My whole life was spared in these 5-minute moments. The minutes are called time, but in reality they are one's life. One's life is short, and one should not be embarrassed to protect one's life.